Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My Last Hours in America


Why did you decide to study abroad?
I can honestly say that I am not completely sure why I decided to study abroad. I haven't taken many once in a lifetime chances, so I figured this was my time to experience one.

How do you expect to be changed by your experience?
Besides having a better understanding of the metric system, I’d like to get to know different people. I think that spending a significant amount of time in a different country allows outsiders to gain a better understanding of the locals and the culture. I may take this opportunity to reevaluate the cultural values of America and how the differ in Ireland.


My goals while abroad:
  • Independence
  • Good Grades
  • Trying new things
  • Make new friends


How I expect to achieve these goals:

  • Independence--Since I am traveling alone I think I will be able to learn how to be more independent. However, I think Independence only comes with practice. I know I will feel independent when I have the courage to get on a bus by myself and find new adventures.
  • Good Grades--I plan on writing down a strict schedule for the week which will hopefully give me time on the weekends to travel. Although I trust that I will do a lot of studying, I know that the style of learning will be very different.
  • Trying new things/ Making new friends-- While abroad I want to live life differently. However, I cannot expect to turn the cultural differences on and off. I know that in order to try new things I will have to take some time for myself as well. Some days I might just have to stay back and relax in order to stay focused on school and not become too overwhelmed with so many changes of a different country.

What fears or apprehensions do you have?
Besides missing my loved ones back home, I am quite nervous about getting lost in a different country. In America I can just get directions from my smart phone, however I will not be able to use my phone like I do back home. From what I’ve read about the citizens of Ireland is that they are very kind. Hopefully if this occurs I will be able to get help from the locals.

What are you most looking forward to?
Most importantly I’m looking forward to a change of pace. I'm excited to meet new people and live a different way for a few months. However, I’m also interested in finding similarities between both cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment